Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Raspberry Frozen Yogurt



A little while ago I was stuck with a box of frozen raspberries in my freezer that I had no idea what to do with.

For most people this wouldn't be an issue because a) it's frozen, so it'll last forever anyway and b) there are a million things you could do with raspberries.

Not me.


I have two issues with that.  The first is, I hate leaving ingredients that aren't basic (like flour, eggs, butter) around in the kitchen because my kitchen is about the size of a doll house kitchen.  There is never any room for anything extra.  So when I'm left with an ingredient like frozen raspberries, I try to finish it off ASAP.

The second issue is that I'm lazy.  I had just spent the weekend making a birthday cake with four different components to it and I just wanted something that was easy to make which preferably took less than five minutes.


This raspberry frozen yogurt hit the spot.  

Everyone probably knows this trick - especially if you don't have an ice cream maker, like me - and that is, whizzing any frozen fruit with equal amounts of yogurt and a couple tablespoons of sugar and bam!  Instant ice cream.  

This is good.  It is especially good eaten on the balcony with your feet up and the sun shining on a lazy afternoon.

Raspberry Frozen Yogurt

Note: this is really more of a ratio than a recipe.  You just need equal parts frozen fruit and yogurt, so you can really make as much or as little as you like.  Frozen mango makes an especially good ice cream.  You can also substitute the sugar for honey, but the amount will depend on how sweet your fruit is.  Honey would probably go especially well with blueberries.

500g frozen raspberries
500g tub of Greek yogurt (or just plain yogurt will do too)
2 tbsp caster sugar, more if needed

Put the raspberries, yogurt and caster sugar in the food processor and whiz until you get a smooth mixture.  Either eat right away for soft-serve or stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours to let it firm up. 

Optional: I don't mind the seeds, but if you're the type of person who hates the grittiness of it then you can try straining the mixture just after processing - it will melt quite a bit as you strain it but it will probably firm up again once you put it back in the freezer.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments make my day, so please leave a little happiness for me!