Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies

 

It occurred to me as I was looking through my previous posts that I haven't posted a cookie recipe for a month. One whole month. This might be a record. 


I was left with a jar of half finished coconut oil when I made the raw cheesecake in my last post, so that left me with half a jar and over a dozen recipes that I had favorited a while ago on the off chance that I would, somehow, procure myself some of it. 


Luckily the decision wasn't so hard to make this time, because I've seen this cookie pop up so much that I decided I'd have to have a go. And anyway... chocolate chip cookies are an anytime thing. Plus, chocolate chip cookies without butter? If you're already racing off to the kitchen, I won't blame you.


The dough for these cookies are almost exactly the same as the classic kind made with creamed butter with the exception that they appear a little more oily. However this doesn't show up in the final cookie at all (they're not more greasy than your regular cookie, anyway). There is the slightest hint of coconut from the coconut oil - not enough so that if you aren't a coconut fan, you'll still like these. I skipped the coconut extract mainly because I didn't want to go out just to buy a tiny bottle to make these cookies, but if you have it on hand and like coconut, throw it in.


These cookies bake up thick, puffy and soft - my favorite sort of chocolate chip cookies. Some of the cookies bake up so puffy they look like they have little cookie love handles, and it looks like two cookies have been layered on top of one another. It's kind of awesome.


Oh, and these are mini-sized as well. That means you can have twice the amount, right? And since they have no butter, it means they're healthy?

The answer is yes. (Disclaimer: I'm no dietitian.)


Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen cookies, depending on size

Note: the original recipe used baking soda. The reason I used baking powder here is because I very intelligently grabbed the wrong container. They still worked, so that's what I've left it as here - but feel free to use either. Other changes I made was to reduce the sugar and up the chocolate chips.

2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup coconut oil, melted (for easy measurement, scoop the amount you think you need into a microwave save bowl and melt it, then measure it - pour any excess back into the jar)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 325F/160C and line a baking sheet.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Put coconut oil and sugars into a large bowl and beat together briefly. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract, and beat the mixture together until it's creamy and amalgamated. Stir in chocolate chips.

Scoop out 1.5-inch balls of dough and place them about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 11-14 minutes, or until the edge of the cookies is just slightly golden. Don't over bake them! 

Take out and let cool on a rack. Repeat until all cookies are baked. 

6 comments :

  1. These look so soft, puffy and delicious! And I love the cookie quotes that you shared in your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Finding cookie-related quotes are I think one of the best parts of being a food blogger :)

      Delete
  2. I keep wanting to make coconut oil cookies and these make me want to even more. They are so soft and puffy looking - my favorite kind of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held off for ages making these as well cause coconut oil is so pricey. Well worth it though :)

      Delete
  3. These cookies turned out delicious! We can't stop eating them. I added a little shredded coconut as well. I use coconut oil as my everyday moisturizer as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding shredded coconut sounds divine - I'm glad you enjoyed them! Always good when food can double as beauty products!

      Delete

Comments make my day, so please leave a little happiness for me!